AZ Open Water Tempe Lake
36:26 Scott Sherman
41:43 Lowry Barfield
16:38 Tyler Barfield (1st AG M11-18)
16:56 Evan Barrick (1st AG F11-18)
Tri Family Southwest Regional YMCA
20:20 Connor Berntgen (1st Overall)
23:32 Jayda Price (1st AG F11-12)
24:17 Sophia Kosednar (2nd AG F11-12)
With two major races this weekend, the Marquee Triathlon and XTERRA Las Vegas, there will be no team practice on Saturday.
Sun Devil Masters
The month of April begins a new relationship with the Sun Devil Masters swim program. For the month of April the Durapulse team practice will continue to be on Monday evenings but at 7PM. Durapulse will cover the cost of this practice during the four weeks in April. Beginning in May we will have two team practices with SDM, Monday and Wednesday evening at 7PM. Durapulse will not cover the cost of Masters swimming so each client will need to register and pay for SDM services separately from the Durapulse coaching fees. We will receive a significant discount off their regular fees (up to 50% off).
All persons using SDM going forward need to register and sign the SDM waiver. Please go to the website and register this week. In the “notes” section you will need to put “Durapulse Athlete” to receive the discount. Once registered and paid you will have access to all the practices offered by SDM, not only the Monday and Wednesday 7PM practice. SDM has been very gracious to partner with Durapulse and we want to make this a lasting relationship. Please adhere to their swim guidelines and policies including membership fees.
With the upcoming DuraFit changes (see below) there will be core and strength work incorporated into the Monday and Wednesday swim practices. I plan on coaching on deck during these practices with Coach Nicole for the adults and with Coach Joe for the TriKids.
Effective May 1st the DuraFit program will end. There will be no more classes held at the training center at Tribe. This includes DuraFit, spin classes, and TriKids. Durapulse will still have an office at Tribe for client consultations and metabolic testing but we will no longer be using the large training room. All equipment will be removed during the last week of April. There will be no class changes in April but April 30th will be the last day for DuraFit.
We will still hold weekly group swims at ASU, track practice, rides and other activities. The new group training schedule is still to be determined and will be announced in the coming weeks.
With this change there will be a reduction in coaching fees. Custom clients will now pay $310/month. Online clients will continue pay $160/month. Junior athletes will continue to pay $210/month and TriKids will be $150/month.
Durapulse will still be a loyal partner and customer of Tribe and hopes that it’s athletes will fully support Tribe’s retail and community.
With this move Durapulse will be selling some of it’s equipment in May. We have over 20 used stationary trainers for sale for $50 each. Riser block included. We have 5 new trainers in the box for $150 each. If anyone is interested in the Infinite Pool, treadmill, Computrainer please contact me for pricing.
We still have some of last year’s triathlon and run jerseys by LG and Champ-Sys in limited sizes. If you need some quality clothes at a discounted rate for training or racing see Coach Nick or Joe. All clothing is 15% off.
Some words of wisdom as you prepare for the Marquee Tri, Leadman Tri, or XTERRA Vegas this weekend.
1. Have fun! This is why you do the sport. No matter what happens, good or bad, have a good time and enjoy yourself and everyone else.
2. The temperature may hit 90 degrees. For those doing the Sprint or Olympic this may not impact you too much but for those doing the Leadman you will need to prepare all week for a warm day. Hydrate well with water and an electrolyte drink. Eat foods that are full of water (fruit). Drink on race day.
3. Visualize the race a few days in advance. Go through the swim, T1, the bike course, T2, and the run course in your head. Visualize yourself performing at your best and hitting new records for the distance. Visualize yourself running down the person in front of you for a podium finish. Mentally prepare for this race in advance. If you fear the water then visualize yourself gliding through the water without effort and without panic.
4. Your final preparation this week will be on economy. You will not gain any fitness but you can gain speed with correct recovery and rest in your taper. You will also gain speed with a focus on technique and form this week. When you get in the water, on the bike, and put on your run shoes focus on good form and all the thing you have learned and practiced this year.
5. Cheer on your team mates and the other athletes. You are all out there doing the same course on the same day. If you are struggling then get your mind off of yourself and onto someone else. Give them encouragement and you will feel better.
6. Have fun! Oh yeah, I already said that.
7. The swim will be congested with hundreds of other people in the water. Establish your position early but don’t go out too fast. You don’t want to lose your race in the first 500 yards. Remember to elongate yourself and be balanced on the water. The swim is the easiest part because it’s over first.
8. The bike is tricky but goes by fast. Follow the rules of triathlon, especially drafting. Keep yourself at least 3 bike lengths behind the next cyclist, unless you are passing. Be sure to stay on the right unless you are passing. Be courteous and friendly.
9. The run is very flat and fast. Focus on high turn over. Use the aid stations for nutrition and not resting. The race will be over before you know it and you do not want to regret anything on the course. Pain is temporary but pride lasts forever.
10. Finish fast and finish strong. Whether you are hitting your best time or you are having a bad day, make your finish worth it and cross the finish line fast and with a smile. Finishing a race should be the first goal for everyone, whether it is your first triathlon or you are a seasoned racer. Show the cameras that you can finish strong and happy.